Friday, July 17, 2009 | By: Anita

Remembering


At 2:26 am, 11 years ago today, we awoke to the sound of our dog barking and we heard the enormous roar of a fire as our dairy barn was engulfed in flames. Looking out our bedroom and seeing the fire is an image I'll not soon forget. I raced downstairs and dialed 911 and 8 minutes later fire trucks were at our place. Waitng those 8 minutes felt like an eternity as we watched our way of life coming to an end. On an average day, it takes me about 10 minutes to drive from the farm to the office in Zurich. The volunteer fire fighters (from Zurich) made it our house in 8. Think about it, they had to wake up, get dressed, drive to the fire department, change into their gear and then made it out to our house in 8 minutes. I'm astonished actually and eternally grateful. Even though they were unable to save the barn, they were able to save the house and the implement shed.

Our kids were 11, 10 & 8 at the time and the memory of that night is not long forgotten. As I write or talk about that day, I still get choked up. Wayne & I were dependent on our friends and family during those first difficult few days. I found it hard to even think of what to make for supper, let alone what were we going to do -- rebuild, move, what?

After much prayer we decided to sell, (the cows & quota) and an even harder decision was to stay where we were and try something else. Wayne had milked cows for almost 30 years, so this wasn't an easy decision. But we learned that there is life after dairy farming.

Wayne was fortunate to have found work immediately after the loss, this helped him to put his focus elsewhere. In 5 short years after losing the barn, Wayne returned to his heart's desire and works for a neighbour as his hired dairy man.

We might not ever understand why this had to happen but we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28 (New International Version), and in that I put my trust.

Blessings

3 comments:

Monica said...

Your faith and trust are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this part of your story with all of us. We love you guys!

Becky said...

Wow!! hard to believe it was 11 years ago....so much has changed...
and your willingness and faithfulness to trust God in ALL things is evident....
Blessings to you as you plan for a holiday hope you continue to count your blessings
Bliss

creating said...

I am a little late in leaving my comment. It is hard to believe that it was 11yrs ago. I can't believe i slept thru that. If my memory serves me right it was a hot humid night. I was sleeping down stairs and I did not notice anything tell the next morning when i was driving Fuzzy to work and what a shock. I believe the next night dad and I spent several hrs watching the burn area to make sure it didn't start again. I will not forget that time with dad, how time does change. Jane