Tuesday, September 7, 2010 | By: Anita

Just the two of us

... we can make it if we try, just the two of us .... you & I. After 23 years of having our kids around, Wayne & I find ourselves as empty nesters.

Wikipedia describes the empty nest syndrome:
A general feeling of loneliness that parents or guardians may feel when one or more of their children leave home; it is more common in women. The marriage of a child can lead to similar feelings, with the role and influence of the parents often becoming less important compared to the new spouse.

A strong maternal or paternal bond between the parent and child can make the condition worse. The role of the parent while the child is still living with them is more hands-on and immediate than is possible when they have moved out, particularly if the distance means that visits are difficult.
With Kyle & Darcy both moving out within a day of one another and Krystle getting married in June, our nest went from full to empty in a matter of months. That could explain the emotional roller coaster I've been on this week.

Blessings

2 comments:

Becky said...

hope the rollercoaster levels out for you soon..lots of new things,,I am sure it has been hard...so glad to know the Lord is walking beside you holding you up through all this...

Praying for you SO MUCH
Blessings
Bliss

krystle ann-marie said...

Wow, I never really realized that before. You flipped roles overnight. From a mom with a household of people in May to nobody living with you in September. That must be hard. I love you, Mom and everything you did for me while "growing up." All our chats and prayers have really built me into the woman I am today. Thank you for being an incredible and influential woman in my life. I am so grateful and thankful. I don't know if I can say that enough. I always look forward to our visits!