Friday, June 15, 2012 | By: Anita

New thinking spot

At the back of the farm we have a little creek that runs though what used to be the pasture land. Since we no longer have cows, the pasture has become quite overgrown and the creek is a bit of a marsh. 

In the winter it looks like this.
But today it looks like this.
As I was sitting by the creek I began to listen quite intently on my surroundings. As the birds sang, the crickets creaked and the wind gently blew; I could feel a tranquility come over me. As I sat in the stillness and rested, I began to think about the hustle and bustle of daily life. How most things can pass by us. How we can have a deep conversation with someone and remember most of what was said, but in all honesty once the conversation was over, our minds close the door and we move on to something else. We experience alot, but we learn relatively little. There's too much to do. People have no time to pause and think about what just happened. We rush frantically from one task to another.

With the changes in my life I've learned that there is time to slow life down and reflect on what we do. During time away {whether it's sitting beside a creek bed or on holidays} we often find reflection moments in the quiet gaps. Without reflection, change is often impossible. These days I'm attempting to make refection a regular practice, it's a deliberate choice I'm trying to build into my life.

Sitting there by the creek gave me the opportunity to be surrounded by God's nature and to think about the hustle and bustle of daily life. It seems as if people have no time to pause and to think. We're too busy and too often we let opportunities pass us by. We think there's too much to do... and we rush frantically from one task to another.

This time of year you'll find me sitting by the creek; enjoying the solitude, giving me the hope of things to come and enjoying this slowing down of my life and reflecting on all that has happened.

Blessings

1 comments:

Becky said...

I am SOOOOO looking forward to having some slow down time... I have decided to challenge myself to a 30 day transformation to get myself back on track in taking tome to PAUSE and reflect on God's goodness and get more in step with a QUIET time...

Thanks for the reminder of the importance of such time

Bliss