Friday, September 6, 2013 | By: Anita

Anniversary

Three months.

That’s how long we dated before we got engaged. And ten months after that, we said “I do!” Way to fast.

How do you know he is the right person?

Twenty-seven years later....


We’ve been married over a quarter of a century, and no matter how you phrase it, especially in our culture of divorce-made-easy, that's a l-o-o-o-ng time.

Watching the Disney Classics of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, I had this unrealistic image in my head of what a marriage was to look like. A fairytale right.
Because I started questioning myself.
Did I do the right thing?
Did I marry the right person?
How do I know?


What if I married the wrong guy and the guy I was to marry, married the wrong girl because I married the wrong guy. {You can get yourself sick over this question. Even if you have prayed and prayed, and knew God was telling you yes.} Then I started nit picking on him. I did the worse thing a wife could do… I compared him to other husbands, those who took off two weeks in the summer, those who weren’t tied down to their own business.

My fairytale didn’t look like a fairytale, in fact it looked like the evil witch. I started looking at all the wrong things about him. And selfishly I prayed that God would change him. To the guy, I thought in my mind, was the “right” guy. I went to God with this image and this list, on how I wanted my husband to be. Change this and this and that. And oh God I really hate that about him, so please change that too. I couldn’t believe how ungrateful I had become. Really the problem in my marriage wasn’t if I married the right person or not. The problem, was {gulp} me.

So often we focus on “finding the right person” that we forget to be the right person.


God likely enjoyed himself when he matched the two of us, opposites in so many ways ~ except for we’re both strong-willed and opinionated. I’d say we’re lovers and fighters. And when I look at our amazing children I have no doubt that he was and is The One.
Happy Anniversary darling!

Blessings

1 comments:

Becky said...

Great post.... 27 years is something to celebrate!
Congratulations.....
Blessings for at least 27 ( if not more) years together.....

Bliss