Friday, February 14, 2014 | By: Anita

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day can be a really tough day. No, you aren’t reading that wrong. You see, my husband is not the most romantic of men. Hes not one for buying flowers, or chocolates. Hes not the most touchy-feely kinda guy either. And he doesnt even say I love you too often. Using that line from an old joke “I told you 'I loved you' on the day we married, if its any different Ill you know!

We don’t have the kind of story that people write love songs about. Nor do we sit across from each other all wide-eyed and hopelessly in love.

And each year I find that I am setting myself up with an unrealistic expectation that he’ll bring me flowers… give me something with chocolate… write me a love note… take me on a date… say, “you complete me”… or … you get the idea. Maybe right now isn’t the best time to read a Nicholas Sparks book or watch a romantic movie. It feels like the problems in my marriage are highlighted throughout this whole day of expected romance. I know that there are times when I am complicated and overly sensitive. And I tend to let my unmet expectations become tomorrow’s frustrations.

I often struggle this time of year … and it’s highlighted even more when friends are all over social media sharing their romantic nights/weekends, it just doesnt sit well with me. These types of posts tend to make me feel as if we are the only ones that don’t have it all together. Sometimes I feel like I was gypped in the husband department and then I start to compare his bad traits against others best traits - not really fair huh? It’s so easy for us to paint the picture that our lives would be better “if only.” 

But then I am challenged to check my heart on this. I mean really check my heart. Instead of waiting to be loved, I should make the decision to give love.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 &13 {New International Version {NIV}}
At the end of our life, we won’t be able to look back and remember most of the hours of our days, but we will remember what those hours produced.
Love is where life lives.

Blessings

0 comments: