Tuesday, March 3, 2015 | By: Anita

Book Review ~ Eyes Wide Open

Have you read any books by Ted Dekker? His books are a mixed bag of emotions. He writes some scary, freaky, sometimes outlandish stuff, and amazingly, he seems to be able to tie it all in with his Christian beliefs.
FROM THE BACK COVER:
Who am I? 
My name is Christy Snow. I'm seventeen and I'm about to die. 
I'm buried in a coffin under tons of concrete. No one knows where I am. My heart sounds like a monster with clobber feet, running straight toward me. I'm lying on my back, soaked with sweat from the hair on my head to the soles of my feet. My hands and feet won't stop shaking.
Some will say that I m not really here. Some will say I'm delusional. Some will say that I don t even exist. But who are they? I'm the one buried in a grave. 
My name is Christy Snow. I'm seventeen. I'm about to die. 
So who are you? 

It all started when Christy Snow lost her beloved locket in the basement of a hospital. In trying to retrieve it, she falls through the floor and lands herself in a predicament and can’t get out. She leaves a phone message for her friend, Austin Hartt, who sets out to find her. However, he also lands in the same predicament, which is being trapped inside a psychiatric hospital. You see, both of them are mistaken for a couple of patients. This starts the ride into what is really reality and what is truth. I do have to say that it made me a little uncomfortable thinking about being trapped in there and not being able to get out as no one believed their true identities.

Humming with intensity and blindsided twists, Eyes Wide Open consists of four parts Book 1: Identity, Book 2: Mirrors, Book 3: Unseen, and Book 4: Seer.  It’s a real page turner with cliff-hangers and plot twists around every corner.  Not all is as it seems. Or is it?  This is what Ted Dekker does best ... he gets you hooked and then he shoves something in there that will have you thinking about it for days after you read it.

Strap yourself in for the ride of your life. Literally.  The story kept me guessing from beginning to end, and I enjoyed every minute of it.  It was a very fast paced book I found the plot of this book to be very entertaining and thought provoking. I find the notion of this predicament to be highly enticing. In a way, we can all relate on some level with the situation that Christy & Austin find themselves in.

Overall, this was a good read.  It’s an allegorical approach that got me thinking about familiar concepts and ideas in new ways, which turned out to be a lot of fun.

Have you read ‘Eyes Wide Open? Tell me what you think!

Take Care

0 comments: