Tuesday, July 28, 2015 | By: Anita

Book Review ~ Blackberry Winter

Blackberry Winter ~ taking its title from a late-season, cold-weather phenomenon ~ Sarah Jio proves she has the amazing ability to transport her readers into not one, but two stories in two different times.
From the back cover
Seattle, 1932. Single mother Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, goodnight and departs to work the night-shift at a local hotel. She emerges to discover that a May snowstorm has blanketed the city, and that her son has disappeared into the heart of the storm. Outside, she finds his teddy bear lying face down in the cold snowy streets.

Seattle, 2010. Seattle Herald reporter Claire Aldridge is assigned to cover the May 1 “blackberry winter” storm and its predecessor that occurred on the same date nearly eighty years earlier. Learning of the unsolved abduction, Claire vows to unearth the truth — only to discover that she and Vera are linked in unexpected ways.

Intriguing, right?!

It was. THE entire book! 

Blackberry Winter moves between present day and the 1930’s. I loved how the book went back and forth telling the story of the two main characters! I found myself caring about Vera and wanted to see Claire work through the grief surrounding her personal tragedy, and I was completely hooked when Claire started to put the pieces together and figure out how her life was connected to Vera’s.

This book was completely and utterly heart-wrenching. The author has a wonderful way of making you fall in love with her characters. While reading, I had numerous “goosebump” moments! Love those. By the end I was truly touched. I felt so connected to these characters.

This book had me from the first page! Absolutely a thrilling read that kept me guessing until the very end!  I  love books that have unexpected twists ~ a titch of mystery ~ and that have a bit of romance too. The ending….that was the true wow factor. I closed the book thinking I wish there is a sequel to see how this all pans out.  I was completely swept into the mystery of this story.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a quick and engaging read and it was certainly a “page-turner”.  I would definitely recommend Blackberry Winter to anyone looking for an enthralling read. If you love a mystery/history/self-finding book, then prepared to be inspired and awed.

Wow…is all I have to say!  

I find the best way to pass the time is read. So, I do. A lot.  

What are you reading these days?

Take Care

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

Love love love Sarah Jio! Reading "The Look of Love" by her right now, actually. Thanks for sharing this one, it's a sublime read.