Tuesday, August 28, 2012 | By: Anita

What is?

Does anyone remember the game show “Jeopardy?” For all I now; it could still be on t.v. in reruns, I don’t really watch much t.v.

Anyway the premise of the show is that it features trivia in a wide variety of topics, including history, literature, the arts, pop culture, science, sports, geography, and wordplay; however, unlike them, it has a unique answer-and-question format in which contestants are presented with clues in the form of answers, and must phrase their responses in question form.

For example, a contestant might select "Presidents for $200," and the resulting clue might be "The Father of Our Country; he didn't really chop down a cherry tree," to which the contestant would respond "Who is George Washington?"

I’ve been feeling a lot like a contestant on Jeopardy recently with each and every visit to my Doctor. Readers will recall this post and this one where I decide that I am determined to find out what ails me, to two years later to this post where I have resigned myself to not finding any answers.


However, I decided to pursue it just a wee bit more.
So if we were playing Jeopardy, let’s select health for $800.
Clue: Fibromyaglgia, Supraventricular tachycardia, Hypoglycaemia, Hypertrophy Calcineurin Arthritis, these medical terms refer to this.

Cue the music - {do do do dodo do do do dah dah dah dah dun dun dun dun dun dun}

Answer: What has Anita been diagnosed with?

Ding, ding, DING, ding DING!!!!

You WIN!

I am sure you must have a lot questions - I know I did - so thanks to Wikipedia, let me break it down for you. .. . . . .. . .

Fibromyalgia:
a central nervous system disorder, is described as a 'central sensitisation syndrome' caused by neurobiological abnormalities which act to produce physiological pain and cognitive impairments. The defining symptoms of fibromyalgia are chronic widespread pain, fatigue, and heightened pain in response to tactile pressure. Other symptoms may include tingling of the skin, prolonged muscle spasms, weakness in the limbs, nerve pain, muscle twitching, palpitations, functional bowel disturbances, and chronic sleep disturbances. Stress may be an important precipitating factor in the development of fibromyalgia.

Supraventricular tachycardia:
is a general term that refers to any rapid heart rhythm originating above the ventricular tissue. Symptoms can come on suddenly and may go away without treatment. Stress, exercise, and emotion can all result in a normal or physiological increase in heart rate, but can also, though more rarely, precipitate SVT. Episodes can last a few minutes or as long as 1 or 2 days, sometimes persisting until treated.

Hypoglycaemia:
is an abnormally diminished content of glucose in the blood. The term literally means "low sugar blood". It can produce a variety of symptoms and effects but the principal problems arise from an inadequate supply of glucose to the brain, resulting in impairment of function, characterized by shakiness and altered mood and thinking.

Hypertrophy calcineurin arthritis:
calcified arthritis located on the C4 {this is the big one}, C5, and C6 cervical vertebrae which affects the nerves on the right side of the body and these nerves also run from the brain through the spinal cord to the body. They connect to the muscles and tissues of the body, allowing them to function.

So there you have it.

While there is no cure for any of these, it feels good to finally have some answers.  I've known this for a while and yet I was hesitant to write and post this to the blog for fear that once it’s “out there” I’ll be labelled not by who I am but by what I have.

Blessings

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

Gerard was just watching Jeopardy the other night. What a nerd!